1. Salads: Thin ribbons of caramelized onions add great texture and flavor to any green salad, and they are our choice for our make-ahead pasta salad lunches. Caramelized onions are also great in grain or bean salads served warm or room temperature.
• Make-Ahead Lunch Template: Pasta Salad with Veggies, Cheese, and Greens
• Florida Butter Beans with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
• Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Fontina
3. Pizza or Savory Tart Topping: If you're feeling gourmet, try caramelized onions on top of homemade pizza! We like them best when paired with just a few other toppings so that the flavors of each can stand out. Try these combos:
• Grilled Potato, Gorgonzola, and Proscuitto with Caramelized Onions
• Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onions, and Basil
• Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Arugula
4. Pasta Dishes: Onions form the base of almost all of our pasta sauces, and taking the cooking just a little further into the caramelized stage gives the same sauce just a little more depth and character.
5. Appetizers: Caramelized onions play a staring roll in many of our go-to dinner party appetizers. They can be piled on top of bruschetta with a little wedge of cheese, used to jazz up a basic dip for chips and crackers, or cooked into a frittata to be served in thin wedges.
What are your favorite ways to use caramelized onions?
Related: How to Caramelize Onions