A nicely fried egg with crispy edges and a warm, runny yolk is one of life's greatest simple pleasures. We realized long ago that fried eggs are just as delicious after 9am as they are before, and we've been sliding them onto our plates to round out a quick meal ever since. Here are a few of our favorite combos:
A fried egg is our trick for turning an otherwise ho-hum meal into a great one. If we're low on fixings and need to make a full meal out of just a few spare ingredients, a fried egg is one of the first things we think of adding.
1. Over Green Salad: Not only does this make a striking presentation, but once you cut into it, the yolk becomes an instant salad dressing. We love the contrast of cool, crunchy greens with warm, tender egg.
2. Over Noodles or Other Grains: This is comfort food at its best. The yolk makes a creamy sauce that coats every noodle or grain in the dish. This is great with a handful of veggies (cooked or raw), or simply on its own. Try this recipe for Sesame-Garlic Soba Noodles with Fried Egg!
3. On Pizza: All you have to do is crack a few eggs onto the top of the pizza just before it goes in the oven. By the time the crust is golden, white of the egg will be set and the centers still soft. You might have to eat this one with a knife and fork!
4. On Kale or Other Hearty Green: Bitter greens and rich egg are one of those perfect flavor combinations that has to be tasted to be believed. We especially like this with pinch of red pepper flakes or a few shakes of Tabasco sauce!
5. On Toast: Ok, this one is pretty basic, we know. But if we're desperate for dinner and nothing else comes to us, a fried egg on toast never fails to satisfy. We like it just like that, but we'll also add baked beans, a few slices of tomato, or a sprinkle of cheese if we have those around.
Where else do you use fried eggs in your cooking?
Related: Good Idea: Make a "Stuff I Like to Eat" List
(Image: Flickr member blmurch licensed under Creative Commons, and Emma Christensen and Faith Durand for the Kitchn)