Here are some of our favorite ways to incorporate ricotta (leftover or otherwise!) into our cooking:
1. To Enrich Sauces: Try adding a scoop or two of ricotta to pasta sauce just at the very end. It adds a lot of flavor and creaminess without a lot of extra fat.
2. To Enrich Egg Dishes: As with sauces, we find that a few spoons of ricotta give egg dishes an extra layer of richness. We also find that it makes our eggs a little fluffier. Try it in omlettes, scrambled eggs, and frittatas!
3. Layered in Gratins and Lasagna: This is an old classic and one of the ways that we first started using ricotta. It makes a good flavor base without adding a lot of extra moisture.
4. As a Quick Spread or Dip: We never realized how delicious ricotta can be all on its own! Good quality or home-made ricotta on toast makes a simple snack. We also make fancier spreads and dips by mixing in things like fresh herbs, roasted red peppers, or lemon zest. (Or honey and nuts for a sweet dessert!)
5. In Baking: Ricotta pancakes are just heavenly. They're moist and fluffy with just a hint of tartness. We also like ricotta in breads, muffins, and coffee cakes.
Where else do you use ricotta?
Related: Recipe: Easy Ricotta Gnocchi