As Kathryn pointed earlier today
, it's berry season! Who can resist picking up a pint of perfectly ripe berries and popping one (or three) in your mouth before you've even left the farmer's market stand?
But a pint of berries bought as a splurge can sometimes present a conundrum back in the kitchen. Many recipes call for more than you've purchased or maybe you're just not in the mood to go all out with your great-grandma's prize-winning blueberry pie!
Never fear, here are five simple ways to get the most out of your pint and showcase the berries at their best!Top 5 Things To With One Pint of Berries:
1. Make muffins. Most muffin recipes call for a cup or two of berries (two cups equals one pint), and usually any berry in season can be swapped in for whichever recipe you're using. If you don't have quite enough berries, round it out with nuts or dried fruit.
2. Make individual cobblers. There's no rule that says cobblers have to be baked in baking dish! Fill an individual-size ramikan with a handful of fruit, top with a dollop of cobbler dough, and bake at 350-degrees until the crust is golden and the fruit bubbly.
3. Layer into parfaits. This is one of our favorite summer desserts since it's so easy and doesn't involve hot ovens! Just fill a tall glass with layers of fruit, whipped cream, and any other goodies you want--crumbled cookies, chocolate chips, a drizzle of sauce...
4. In pancakes and waffles. Another favorite! Mix fresh berries right into the pancake or waffle batter for a summer morning treat.
5. Add berries to salads. Tart summer berries make a fun addition to our standard leafy green salad and pair well with vegetables and many proteins like chicken and fish.
What else can you do with one pint of berries?
Related: Top Five: Uses for Arugula Besides Salad
(Image: Emma Christensen for the Kitchn)