Really, a holiday party is just a regular dinner party that's dressed up for the season! Many of the same key ideas apply:
• Invite a variety of guests and make sure everyone knows at least one other person.
• Put on some good music. If you want to pipe Christmas music to your guests, make it tasteful. (Personally, I save the Glee Christmas Album for blasting in the car.)
• Have drinks and appetizers ready when guests arrive. Nothing like little trays of nibbles and a cocktail to get guests relaxed and conversing.
• Consider your space. Make it cozy and comfortable with areas to stand, places to sit, and candles for some intimacy.
• Don't force party games. Some of us love a good White Elephant gift exchange. Others, not so much. I say, don't force it.
What tips do you have for throwing a winning holiday party?