It's the spirits edition of the Times dining section today, with a look at the popularity of the White Russian (thanks, Jeff Bridges), tastings of single malt scotch, and a boozy chocolate cake. Plus, some sad news for Copia in Napa Valley. Read on for our picks...
1. The White Russian renaissance. "The Big Lebowski" sparked new love for the Dude's favorite drink. But the movie came out 10 years ago. Is this really news?
2. The best tasting Scotch whiskeys. There were some names we recognized, some we didn't, and several that won't break the bank. Good gift ideas for Scotch lovers.
3. And speaking of gifts... A roundup of 17 mail-order goodies, with the last day you can order for a December 24th delivery.
4. Dark chocolate cake soaked in whiskey. We're a little worried about Melissa Clark lowering the sugar and doubling the alcohol. Could it be too adult? Hmm... Chocolate, booze, cake... Yeah, we'll still take it.
5. Copia files for bankruptcy. Plenty of people have not-so-nice things to say about Copia's purpose and how it was run (including Robert Mondavi's own son). Have you visited? Are you surprised?
Last week's Top 5: Fennel Salad and Luscious Squash
(Image: Joe Fornabaio for The New York Times)