- The boastful egg What does organic really mean when it comes to eggs? Or hormone-free? (Not that much it turns out.) Or antibiotic-free? Or free range, or cage-free, or... any of those other labels that get slapped willy-nilly on egg cartons these days. This piece untangles it all.
- Caramelized tomato tarte Tatin Melissa Clark recreates a savory pastry from the Gramercy Tavern in a larger size and gorgeous mosaic for dramatic serving (and eating) this fall.
- Moose - it's what's for dinner Moose is much more than a political punchline in Alaska. It's not just target hunting; it's real food for many Alaskans. We appreciated this thoughtful look at the real role that moose plays in the Alaskan home kitchen.
- Eating better on a diet We also appreciated this much healthier approach to dieting: adding in good things instead of taking out everything.
- Hainanese Chicken With Rice Mark Bittman poaches a chicken and uses both the meat and stock in this classic comfort food.
(Image: Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times)