Sugar and fruit! That's it.
Now, the recipe pictured above (and linked below) calls for more than three ingredients, illustrating the fact that your fool can get fancy, if you fancy fancy fools. However, it really can be as simple as this:
1. Simmer some chopped, fresh fruit with a bit of sugar until it's soft and syrupy.
2. Whip some cream. Add a bit of sugar to gently sweeten it.
3. Let the fruit cool, then fold it into the whipped cream, creating pretty swirls and ribbons.
Fools look beautiful in small, clear glass dishes. It's easy to make one or two for a quiet night at home. We're planning one tonight with some of the season's first peaches.
• Here's our review of a Rhubarb Fool from Martha Stewart that really does call for just three ingredients. And it was hot pink!
• And here's the fancier Rhubarb Fool from Epicurious, pictured above.
(Image: Sara Remington)