We're always trying to move with the seasons here, and sometimes it's helpful to look back at what we were talking about at this precise time a year ago. Here's a look at some of the May food on the blog a year ago this week. There's an ooey-gooey sandwich, Spanish-fried eggs, a hilarious debate over oyster feelings, and more.
A Year Ago This Week - May 27-June 2
• Why we stopped drinking bottled water.
• This one got people all hot and bothered: Good Question: Is It Cruel to Throw Away Oysters?
• We did this again this morning - a favorite egg technique: How to Fry an Egg the Spanish Way
• Any ripe tomatoes yet? When there are, try this Mozzacado Sandwich. Ooey and yummy.
• More IKEA pantry! (We do think some of their imported stuff is great.) The Jam Report: Hafi Black Currant Preserves
• Union Square Greenmarket? Not much happening, except strawberries.
• Getting really fine purees and textures: cooking with a tamis (pronounced "tammy").
• Vino: 2005 Domaine de la Batardiere Muscadet - a zippy white wine, perfect with oysters.
• Light, quick dinner: Spicy Broccoli Tofu Stir-Fry
• This recipe takes advantage of another favorite quick frying technique - this time for fish. Catfish with Lemon Basil Cream Sauce
• Need to freshen up the cookbook collection for summer? Scavenger: Summer Cookbook Suggestions