This time a year ago we were talking about eating light — but the Super Bowl was on the horizon, too! We had party food, like cake bites on toothpicks and guilt-free bean dip. We also visited a chef's city kitchen, where he showed us how to make real Chinese dumplings. Plus the real scoop on lactose intolerance, quick cinnamon rolls,
Links pictured above are in bold below.
• A spotlight on Ina Garten's East Hampton kitchen.
• Great party food: Cake bites on toothpicks, popcorn with olive oil, a taco bar, and healthy chip substitutes. Plus no-guilt bean dip and Super Bowl party tips from Real Simple.
• Weeknight dinners: Braised chicken with shallots and no-knead fennel and anchovy pizza.
• Market report: Citrus everywhere! Here's a recipe for citrus and onion salad.
• Kitchen skills: How to peel garlic by hand and how to cut a pineapple.
• A visit with Kenny Lao of Rickshaw Dumpling Bar. He shows us how to make Chinese dumplings!
• Small space storage: Efficient storage in a Mumbai kitchen, and storage for your foil — on the wall.
• Four great Chinese cookbooks.
• Recipe reviews: A healthier mushroom casserole, easy zucchini muffins, and really quick cinnamon rolls.
• Beans! More resources for finding heirloom beans, and a recipe for Florida butter beans with caramelized onions and bacon.
• What is lactose intolerance, and how do you know if you have it?
• A look at Gouda the Great from our Cheesemonger.
• Support solar cooking!
• Nine cool lunch boxes and bags.
• See the entire archive from this week a year ago.
Previous Year Ago Lookback: