What was cooking a year ago this week? There was cold frozen yogurt sorbet and watermelon agua fresca. There were kitchen sneak peeks and tours, including one of cookbook author Joanne Weir's gorgeous San Francisco kitchen. Read on for these posts plus tips and good ideas from this time a year ago.
• Recipes and recipe reviews: Yogurt Sorbet from Patricia Wells, DIY Maraschino Cherries, French Country Boule, Old-Fashioned Sloppy Joes, Japanese Style Simmered Sweet Kabocha, and Eggplant Caponata Sandwiches with Mozzarella, Japanese dashi broth, and an alternative "nut crust" for fish. Oh and apricots with candied rosemary walnuts and cream.
• How to clean a cast iron grill pan.
• Cure for a hot day: watermelon aqua fresca.
• Rice with bits of wild flowers from Provence.
• Food science: why chile peppers are spicy.
• Pots and pans for tiny kitchens from Cristel.
Previous Year Ago Lookback: How to Find Good Cheap Wine, Make the Perfect Tomato Salad, and Use Your Car As a Dehydrator