Trader Joe's is known for their incredible snack selection. Sweet snacks, savory snacks, snacks that are both sweet and savory — they have 'em all.
But when you're traveling, any ol' snacks won't do. You need treats that will be easy to slide into your purse, carry-on, or suitcase. They can't spill or leak. They can't spoil or require a small pile of napkins to consume. They have to be ultra-portable and ultra-delicious.
With that in mind, here are our 10 faves for when you're taking flight.
- Oven-Baked Cheese Bites, $2.50 for 2.11 ounces: A blend of Grana Padano and a semi-aged cheese gives these bites massively big cheese flavor, and the resealable top makes these shelf-stable, gluten-free cheese rounds ideal for travel. Eat 'em by the handful or savor them one by one — no napkins required.
- Organic Fruit Wraps, $.50 each: These fruit leathers, made from 100 percent fruit, are good in a pinch. They're tiny, so you can stash a handful in your purse or backpack. And while they're not quite real fruit, there's no added sugar, preservatives, or anything funky.
- Organic Chia Bars, $3 for box of five: These crunchy, chewy bars are studded with almonds, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. At only 100 calories each, they won't weigh you down.
- Jerkies, from $5.50 for four ounces: If you love jerky, Trader Joe's has got you covered with turkey, beef, buffalo, and even salmon. They hit the spot when you want a quick protein boost.
- Omega Trail Mix Handfuls, $5 for 12 ounces: Trail mix is basically a given when you're traveling, and this version — with almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pecans, pistachios and dried cranberries — is solid. But what really sets this apart is the individual serving bags, which allow you to avoid spilling uneaten mix all over your bag (or you can share them with your seatmate, because sharing is caring).
- Soft and Juicy Mandarins, $3 for five ounces: If you like to nibble on dried fruit, you'll love these chewy dried mandarin segments. They're sweet as candy and only about 10 calories apiece. It's a small package so it'll fit into your carry-on just fine.
- String Cheese, $3 for 12: These individually wrapped sticks of low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese are perfectly portable. Whether you gobble the cheese or pull it apart string by string is up to you.
- Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets, $3 for 6.35 ounces: These savory rice nuggets from Japan were made for on-the-go snacking. The package is practically weightless, which is good news when you're on your feet all day and dealing with luggage.
- Nutty Seedy Fruity Bar, $3 each: This tiny bar packs a punch. It's filled to the brim with, well, nuts, seeds, and fruit (that's how it got its name!). This makes a fabulous breakfast bar when you're in a hurry, or a filling snack when you're mid-flight.
- Scandinavian Swimmers, $3 for two ounces: If you like to chew on gummies when you travel, grab a bag of these sea creature-shaped crowd-pleasers, which are also free of artificial colors or flavors.
Your turn: Did we leave out your favorite travel snack from Trader Joe's?