I have noticed a marked increase in my Sriracha consumption ever since Randy Clemens' first Sriracha Cookbook entered my kitchen. With this second book — 50 recipes, all veggies, all vegan — I'm a goner. It's going to be all Sriracha, all the time around here.
• Who wrote it: Randy Clemens
• Who published it: Ten Speed Press
• Number of recipes: 50
• Recipes for right now: SriRANCHa Dressing and Dip, Fiery Pho Chay, Sriracha Broccoli Slaw, Grilled Shishito Peppers with Sriracha Satay Sauce, Curried Kale and Squash Risotto, ultimate Sriracha Veggie Burger, Mango-Sriracha Sangria
• Other highlights: Just looking through this book makes my mouth start to tingle with that delectable Sriracha burn. There are so many orange-tinged dishes that I can't wait to make, and this all-veg book is hitting at just the right moment of summer when my fridge and counters are overflowing with tomatoes and peppers and corn. But don't worry — the usefulness of this book will extend well beyond summer. I'm just waiting for the weather to cool before I make the Sriracha-Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese. And do I dare sneak some Maple-Sriracha Roasted Brussels Sprouts onto my Thanksgiving table? I think I might.
So many of us are trying to ease away from the meat and tuck more vegetables into our diet, and it seems to me that a squeeze of Sriracha makes this shift all the more approachable and appealing. Clemens also draws from cuisines the world over in this book — from a vegan quiche Florentine and Korean jjigae to tamales and Southern biscuits and gravy — guaranteeing that we never lack for inspiration.
There's one caveat, of course: You really do have to love Sriracha to get into this book. While you can adjust the amount of Sriracha to suit your taste in many of the dishes, these are not recipes for those timid of some heat! Grab your rooster sauce and let's get cooking.
• Who would enjoy this book? Sriracha lovers, vegans and vegetarians, for sure, but this book has wider appeal for anyone trying to eat less meat and more vegetables.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Veggie-Lover's Sriracha Cookbook by Randy Clemens
• Visit the author's website: Randy Clemens
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)