The Best Food Markets in the World
1. St. Lawrence, Toronto, Canada: "More than 120 retailers dispense everything from seafood to coffee."
2. Union Square Greenmarket, New York City: "The market's variety in this now revitalized area bewilders many supermarket shoppers."
3. Castries Market, St. Lucia: "Stock up on island spices (star anise, mace, cinnamon); breadfruit, bananas, and other tropical fruits; condiments like hot-pepper sauce; hot food, including rotis; or the fishermen's catch."
4. Ver-o-Peso, Belém, Brazil: "Noisy and chaotic, yet irresistibly atmospheric, with parallel rows of fishmongers selling odd-looking specimens..."
5. Mercado Central, Santiago, Chile: "Under a wrought-iron, art nouveau canopy dating from 1872, this animated fish market groans with an extraordinary shoal of sea creatures..."
6. Kreta Ayer Wet Market, Singapore: "Like most things Singaporean, this Chinatown market is spotlessly clean, its floor hosed down regularly for hygiene, hence the term 'wet market.'"
7. Kauppatori, Helsinki, Finland: "Star buys include moose, reindeer, and bear salami; chocolate infused with salted licorice; and salmon and herring delicacies."
8. La Vucciria, Palermo, Italy: "...the smell of barbecued sausages and kebabs permeates the air."
9. Cours Saleya, Nice, France: "Lined with cafés and seafood restaurants, the market has a different atmosphere on summer nights, when it becomes a covered eating area."
10. Borough Market, London, England: "London's oldest food market... delights foodies with its cornucopia of fine foods from independent suppliers throughout the U.K. and beyond..."
Read More: Top 10 Food Markets at National Geographic
Related: 10 US Farmer's Markets Worth a Trip
(Image: Gregory Han)