While some complain about the lack of fresh fruit in the dead of winter, I welcome this time of year with open arms. Bring on the citrus! Here are 10 citrus desserts to brighten your winter days.
Satsumas, grapefruits, blood oranges: I stock up on them all each time I head to the store. Sure, they're said to keep colds away but the tangy sweetness has always made me feel vibrant and energetic when the weather has a way of getting you down. When I was in graduate school in Boston, it would get dark around 4 p.m. in the winter months and that's right about the hour I'd grab a tangerine. They were my little bit of sunshine that kept me going through January and February.
While citrus fruits are delightful on their own, they're also wonderful to bake with and feature on top of lighter winter desserts.
From tarts and pies to cakes and puddings, here are a few of our very favorite citrus desserts. So stock up. Eat a few, bake with a few. Your days will be brighter: guaranteed.
Try a Recipe:
• Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart - Martha Stewart
• Shaker Lemon Pie - Smitten Kitchen
• Grapefruit Tart with Shortbread Crust - Seven Spoons
• Grapefruit Cake - A Thought for Food
• Bombolino + Meyer Lemon Curd - Beyond the Plate
• Lemon Curd Squares with Rosemary - Sweet Amandine
• Whipped Key Lime Curd Tarts - Barbara Bakes
• Iced Citrus Crackle Cookies - Food Network
• Meyer Lemon Pudding - The Galley Gourmet
• Blood Orange Tart - Lottie and Doof