The Brussels sprouts are here! The Brussels sprouts are here! My favorite little cabbage is just starting to come back in season, and I've got big plans for the weeks ahead.My dad grew up farming in Minnesota, and he used to always say that brussels sprouts weren't good until after the first hard frost. The cold actually brings out the sugars
in these sprouts and other members of the cabbage family, taming their bitterness and making them irresistibly good. My brother and I ate them like candy. And still do.
When the first Brussels sprouts start coming in, all I want to do is roast them. I slice them in half and toss them with good olive oil and some sea salt. Roasted in cast iron skillet, they come out of the oven slightly charred, crispy around the edges, and tender in the middle. I could eat the whole batch straight from the pan.
When my husband starts begging for some variety, I'll move on to these dishes:
• Sprouts with Walnuts and Bacon from BBC Good Food
• Salami and Brussels Sprouts Pizza from Real Simple
• Tofu and Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Chili Sauce from Ginger and Berries
• Brussels Sprouts and Goat Cheese Turnovers from Honest Cooking
• Creamy Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms from Eating Well
Any Brussels sprouts plans in your near future?
Related: Tip: Core Brussels Sprouts with a Vegetable Peeler
(Image: BBC Good Food)