Prunes need to revamp their image. Most people associate them with the elderly and the infirm, making them possibly the least sexy fruit ever, when in reality they are soft, sweet, deeply flavored — and dare we say sexy? Not only that, prunes are adaptable; they are as good served with duck as they are stewed with sweet port wine and spooned over cake. Prune lover or merely prune-curious? Check out the 10 recipes below!
We have to give a quick shout-out to David Lebovitz for spreading the love of prunes far and wide. Three of the recipes below were either written by him (the prune-Armagnac ice cream and duck with prunes in red wine) or adapted from a recipe written by him (prunes stewed in port wine). And there are even more prune recipes to be found on his website. He's a man after our own prune-loving hearts!
SWEET PRUNE RECIPES
• Prunes Stewed in Port Wine
• Brandied Prune and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
• Prune, Cherry, and Apricot Frangipane Tart at Gourmet
• Far Breton at Bon Appétit
• Prune-Armagnac Ice Cream at the LA Times
SAVORY PRUNE RECIPES
• Braised Goat Shanks with Prune, Shallot, and Brandy Reduction
• Duck with Prunes in Red Wine at David Lebovitz
• Sweet Potato Gratin with Prunes at Food & Wine
• Roasted Chicken with Prunes and Armagnac at Food52
• Oven-Roasted Prunes Wrapped With Pancetta at the San Francisco Chronicle
Are you a fellow prune fan?
(Image: Faith Durand)