This time a year ago we were talking about keeping cool (see: Cajun lemonade, cucumber ice pops, brownie ice cream sandwiches...) and showing you some really gorgeous kitchens. We were also talking about some lesser-known berries, giving you the facts on lactose intolerance, and discussing the best knife for cutting tomatoes. Plus: 5 favorite old-fashioned kitchen gadgets, exotic foods we'd like to try (and ones we'd rather avoid), and the best granola ever. Read on for these posts plus lots more from this week a year ago. Posts pictured above are in bold below.
• Two dramatically beautiful kitchens in California: A sustainable renovation in LA and a special Silverlake kitchen.
• A food-lover's guide to Brooklyn.
• Julie & Julia opened! Did you go see it on opening weekend?
• Pie pops!
• Mark Bittman and his (part-time) vegan diet.
• Five favorite old-fashioned kitchen gadgets.
• Leea's lovely budget kitchen makeover.
• The best granola ever.
• Exotic foods we'd like to try — as well as a few we'd rather just avoid.
• Cold-brewed iced coffee for hot days. Oh, and Cajun lemonade, strawberry lemonade and brownie ice cream sandwiches are also good for sweltering afternoons.
• The man's kitchen — complete with butcher and full wash-down. Love this video!
• Are you really lactose intolerant? Maybe, maybe not!
• A review of the Element Grill from Fuego.
• Cucumber ice pops with lime and chile.
• Ever tried ollalieberries or thimbleberries?
• The best knife for cutting tomatoes.
• How can home cooks calculate nutrition info?
• See all the posts from this week a year ago.
Previous Year Ago Lookback: 20 Ways to Cook Anything & 10 Useful Kitchen Gadgets