In case you are still looking for Thanksgiving inspiration, we have two last-minute Thanksgiving meal menus. Today's draws on traditional Thanksgiving flavors and dishes; tomorrow's will be less traditional.
If you are cooking for four people or less, we suggest roasting a chicken instead of a turkey. Organic, free-range birds (which taste noticeably better) are economical and easily available.
We have a full shopping list for this menu after the jump.
Traditional Menu Shopping List
• Organic chicken roaster (about 4 pounds)
• Herbs: Sage, thyme, rosemary
• 3 large sweet potatoes
• 2 sweet onions
• 1 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
• Jar of crushed ginger, or a 4-inch stick of fresh ginger
• 1 package organic or whole grain graham crackers
• 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
• 1 quart half and half
Traditional Menu Pantry Items
Things you probably have on hand already
• Coarse or kosher salt
• Black pepper
• Ground paprika and/or cayenee
• Ground ginger
• Ground cinnamon
• Olive oil
• Brown sugar
• Good Question: Thanksgiving Dinner for Two?
• Recipe: Pureed Parsnips
• Recipe: Modern Ambrosia
• On Thanksgiving Tradition