A few of the most common questions we get here at The Kitchn start like this: What do I do with ______? and How do I use up a lot of _______?
Fill in the blank: onions, lemons, exotic oils, coconut jam, duck fat, an abundance of hot peppers, quinoa, barley, leftover pie dough, rice, pasta — the list goes on and on. Maybe you also are discovering some leftovers or challenging ingredients as you clean out your pantry and fridge for the Cure. Well, don't throw them away, here's a smart way to use up every last bit!
- Top 10 Ways to Use Up Overripe Fruit
- 5 Delicious Ways to Use Up Overripe Strawberries
- 5 Ways to Use Up Leftover Berries
- 5 Ways to Use Zested Lemons
- 4 Ways to Eat Ground Cherries
- 5 Good Uses for Your Citrus Peels
- 8 Recipe Ideas for Leftover Clementines
- Waste Not! Five Ways To Use Mealy Apples
- A Genius Way to Use Every Scrap of Summer Fruit
- 10 Ways to Use Up Leftover Celery
- Don't Toss Fennel Stalks! Use Them Like Celery
- 5 Ways to Use Up a Bunch of Scallions
- 12 Ways to Use Up All That Zucchini & Summer Squash
- 5 Ways to Use up Leftover Corn on the Cob
- Got Green Tomatoes? 5 Ways to Use Them Up!
- 5 Ideas for Using Up the Rest of the Container
- Save Vegetable Scraps for Stock
- What Should I Do With Leftover Fennel Fronds?
- 13 Ways to Use Cucumbers
- Top Five Ways to Use Caramelized Onions
- Ways to Use Lettuce Besides Salads and Sandwiches?
- 5 Ways to Use Carrots
- 10 Ways to Use Up a Gallon of Milk
- 5 Ways to Use Leftover Buttermilk
- Got Leftover Buttermilk? Freeze It!
- 5 Tasty Ways to Use Leftover Whipped Cream
- Did You Know You Can Freeze Leftover Whipped Cream?
- 5 Ways to Use Up Leftover Sour Cream
- 5 Savory Ways to Eat Yogurt for Lunch
- What Can I Do with Leftover Half-and-Half?
- Ideas for Using Leftover Mascarpone?
- 10 Ways to Use Up Leftover Egg Whites
- 12 Ways to Use Up Leftover Egg Yolks
- 7 Ways to Use up Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 3 Insanely Delicious Ways to Use Up Hard-Boiled Eggs
- What Are Some Awesome Ways to Use Quail Eggs?
Other Refrigerated Foods
Rice & Grains
- What To Do With Amaranth
- Five Ways to Use Leftover Rice
- Another Use for Leftover Rice: Filipino Style Rice 'n Eggs
- 5 Ways to Use Irish Oats Beyond Breakfast
- 5 Ways to Use Sorghum
- 6 Ways to Use Leftover Cooked Grains
- What to do with Pie Dough Trimmings?
- Got Ganache? 7 Things to do with Leftover Chocolate Sauce
- 5 Delightful Ways to Use Coconut Sugar
- 5 Amazing Ways to Use Almond Meal
- 5 Ways to Use Spent Vanilla Beans
- 8 Glorious Ways to Use Pizza Dough (Besides Making Pizza!)
- 5 Smart Ways to Use Up Leftover Nuts
- 10 Smart Ways to Use Leftover Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 8 Ways To Use a Batch of Pumpkin Puree
- 10 Ways to Use the Last 1/2 Cup of Leftover Pumpkin Puree
- Ways to Use Up Powdered Hot Chocolate Mix
- The Quickest Way to Use Up Flavored Teas You Don't Want to Drink
- 10 Ways to Use a Can of Tuna
- The Best Way to Save Tomato Paste (And Use It Later)
- 5 Ways to Use a Jar of Preserved Lemons
- 7 Ways to Eat Canned Salmon for Dinner
- 10 Ways to Eat Pita Bread
- Use Leftover Pickling Brine to Make Vinaigrette
- Things to do with Leftover Dates
- What Are Some Ways to Use Up Leftover Black Olives?
- 6 Ways to Use Leftover Pickle Juice
- 5 Smart Ways to Use Tahini
- 7 Savory Ways to Use Your Marmalade
- 5 Smart Ways to Use Cornmeal
- Beyond Socca: 5 More Ways to Use Chickpea Flour
- Ways To Use Your Canned Tomatoes All Year Round
- 5 Ways to Use Dried Fruit in Warm Weather Recipes
- 5 Ways to Use Leftover Coconut Milk
- Leftover Coconut Cream? Here Are 6 Ways to Use It Up!
- 10 Ways To Use Up Condiments
- 10 Ways to Use Up Mustard
- 10 Ways to Use Up Ketchup
- 5 Ways to Use Up Leftover BBQ Sauce
- 10 Ways to Use Up Hot Sauce
- Leftover Miso? 10 Great Dishes Featuring Miso
- Beyond Miso Soup: 5 More Ways to Use Miso Paste
- 5 Ways to Use Ponzu Sauce
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Curry Paste
- 5 Ways to Use Chimichurri Sauce
Herbs & Spices
- What Are Some Great Ways to Use Up Leftover Fresh Sage?
- 10 Delicious Ways to Use a Bunch of Basil
- 10 Ways to Use Almost Any Spice Mix
- 7 Ways to Eat (& Drink!) Turmeric
- Freeze & Preserve Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil
- Ideas for Using Up Leftover Cilantro
- 7 Ways To Use Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 5 New Ways to Use Up This Week's Leftovers
- Eight Ways to Use Leftover Chicken
- 4 Things To Do With Leftover Pasta
- 4 (More) Ways to Use Up Leftover Pasta
- Leftover Pasta? Make a Frittata!
- 10 Delicious Ways to Use Up Leftover Wine
- Leftover Eggnog? 10 Delicious Uses
- What Can I Do With Leftover Soda (Besides Drink It)?
- 5 Things To Do With That Little Bit Of Leftover Smoothie
- After the Party: 5 Ways to Use Beer (Besides Drinking It)
- Cool Ways to Use Pomegranate Juice
- What Can You Do with the Leftover Pulp from Making Soy Milk?
- How To Use That Leftover Halloween Candy: 10 Ideas
- What Are Some Awesome Ways to Use Up My Homemade Cranberry Sauce?
- 10 Great Recipes to Use Up Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
- 12 Ways to Use Up Candy Canes
OK, what did we miss? Are you using up your leftovers or extra ingredients in creative ways? Tell us!
This post has been updated - originally published April 2009.