Are you a great photographer? Do you enjoy blogging, writing, and seeking out fabulous kitchens? Do you have lots of friends or contacts who are avid home cooks with great, personality-filled kitchens, both big and small? Do you like telling stories in words and photos of how people cook today? If so, we may be looking for you. We are looking to hire a few new Kitchen Tour contributors for the site. Interested? Read on to see what we're looking for.
What We're Looking For
We are looking for a blogger to seek out, photograph, and write up a monthly Kitchen Tour for us. If you have strong photography and writing skills, love interviewing people and parsing out the sweet, interesting tidbits to share, and lots of friends or contacts who love cooking and spending time in their kitchen, then we could be looking for you!
What we're NOT looking for right now:
We are not looking for recipe or original feature writers. While we certainly appreciate it if you can write a good recipe, that is not the focus of this search. Please do NOT send us recipes or anything other than the requested Kitchen Tour post, which is outlined below:
• Time and ability to contribute at least one Kitchen Tour a month.
• Lots of contacts for potential tours!
• Accurate, confident, thoughtful writing skills.
• Excellent photography skills and a good eye for images.
• A reliable computer and high speed internet connection.
• A good quality digital camera.
• Photoshop, Lightroom, or Photoshop Elements.
• Blogging and online media experience. Know your way around blogging systems, image uploading, rudimentary HTML.
• We're particularly interested in bloggers from Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, and Philadelphia, although all cities will be considered!
• Preference will be given to bloggers who are long-term fans of The Kitchn, and who know our voice and style well. (Read our mission statement here.)
• Our writers are compensated by the post, with opportunities for bonuses. We pay promptly at the beginning of each month.
• We also allow writers to link back to their photography portfolio or personal blog, and to gain readership from our audience of over 7 million monthly readers.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
• Your name and contact information.
• How you first found The Kitchn and how long you have been reading us.
• What you do full-time.
• Where you plan on finding kitchen tours in your area and a few pitches of tours that you think you'd be able to share if hired.
• A complete sample Kitchen Tour post. See an example Kitchen Tour here and view our full Kitchen Tour archive here.
SAMPLE KITCHEN TOUR GUIDELINES
Your sample Kitchen Tour post should be complete and representative of the style and quality you would deliver on tour posts on an ongoing basis. It should consist of:
• 20-25 images for the tour sized to 540 pixels wide (height is flexible) emphasizing quality over quantity. A full shot list is available here.
• A short intro, max 3 paragraphs.
• A Kitchen Tour Questionnaire completed by the tour recipient consisting of the following 10 questions:
1. What inspires your kitchen and your cooking?
2. What is your favorite kitchen tool or element?
3. What's the most memorable meal you've ever cooked in this kitchen?
4. The biggest challenge for cooking in your kitchen?
5. Is there anything you wish you had done differently? [Answer if you renovated the kitchen. If you haven't renovated, share anything you wish was different about your kitchen!]
6. Biggest indulgence or splurge in the kitchen:
7. Is there anything you hope to add or improve in your kitchen?
8. How would you describe your cooking style?
9.Best cooking advice or tip you ever received:
10. What are you cooking this week?
• A resource list for the kitchen, including links for appliances, paint colors, materials, tools, dishes, etc., where available.
• 11:59pm PST Monday, February 18 (earlier is always appreciated!)
• We want to be wowed by your unique voice and fresh ideas! Please submit posts written specifically for The Kitchn and not for another blog.
• Applications and questions can be sent via email to: Cambria Bold (click here to email). Please make sure to put "The Kitchn Tour Contributor Search" in the subject line -- otherwise it may be mis-routed and lost forever. Please send the title, introduction, questionnaire, and resources in the body of the email and attach the photos in a zipped file. You should also indicate which 3-4 photos you'd include within the post itself, as opposed to the gallery.Thanks!
We hope to hear from you!
(Image: Leela Cyd Ross | Jessica & Charley's Chocolate Workshop and Handmade Home Kitchen)