What We're Looking For
We are looking for a blogger to write from the perspective of a home cook with kids. This is not to blog kids' food, per se, but to bring the perspective of a dad or mom to the daily content of the blog.
Can you write pithy, timely, and even funny posts on how and what you cook every day? Can you thoughtfully explore the issues, large and small, involved in feeding good food to your family in modern America? Do you have creative, interesting ideas for parties, gatherings, and ways to perk up the daily routine of cooking?
What we're not looking for right now:
Recipe or original feature writers. While we certainly appreciate it if you can write a good recipe and if you can take excellent photos, that is not the focus of this search. We're looking for a writer who can offer short, concise nuggets of experience several days of week.
• Accurate, confident, thoughtful writing skills
• Excellent photography skills and a good eye for images
• A reliable computer and high speed internet connection
• A good quality digital camera
• Photoshop, Lightroom, or Photoshop Elements
• Blogging and online media experience (Know your way around blogging systems, image uploading, rudimentary HTML.)
• Time and ability to contribute at least three short posts a week.
• Preference will be given to bloggers in the Chicago and Texas regions, as well as the Southeast.
• Preference will be given to bloggers who are long-term fans of The Kitchn, and who know our voice and style well. (Read our mission statement here.)
• Our writers are compensated by the post, with opportunities for bonuses. We pay promptly at the beginning of each month.
• We also allow writers to link back to their personal blogs, and to gain readership from our audience of over 4.5 million monthly readers.
• Your name and contact information.
• How you first found The Kitchn and how long you have been reading us.
• What you do full-time.
• Some thoughts on post topics and series you think would benefit the site and that you would enjoy creating for our audience.
• Two complete sample posts in the style of The Kitchn, including a photo (simply include in body of email — please do not send Word docs).
We want to be wowed by your unique voice and fresh ideas! Please submit posts written specifically for The Kitchn and not for another blog. Look to The Kitchn's archives for multiple examples of the general style and format of posts for submission.
• Monday, October 15 (earlier is always appreciated!)
• Applications and questions can be sent via email to: Faith Durand (click here to email). Please make sure to put The Kitchn Family Contributor Search in the subject line — otherwise it may be mis-routed and lost forever. Thanks!
We hope to hear from you!
(Image: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)