The Kitchn Cure Day 7: Tuesday, August 19
Assignment: Clean the oven. (See all the assignments so far here)
Sign Up: Sign up here for The Kitchn Cure
Let's turn our attention to the oven, people, because this whole cleaning business is about to get serious. Has it been a few months since you've cleaned your oven? A few years? Or perhaps you have a rental oven that's never been cleaned at all. (It happens.) Repeat after me: your oven needs some lovin' — so let's get to it!
Today's Assignment (estimated time: 1 hour total scrub time, with an overnight soak)
- Take a "Before" photo of your oven: Before you don rubber gloves and get to scrubbing, take a 'before' shot of your oven and post the photo to your Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook account, and use the hashtag #kitchncure.
- Cue up a cleaning playlist: We're going to be honest: no one likes cleaning the oven. It's a pain. So, cue up your favorite tunes to make it just a little more tolerable. We're partial to this cleaning playlist.
- Clean the oven: Follow our step-by-step tutorial → How To Clean an Oven with Baking Soda & Vinegar. You can also use your oven's self-cleaning cycle, although we don't recommend it.
- Clean the oven racks: Follow our step-by-step tutorial → How To Clean Oven Racks in the Bathtub
- Clean the greasy oven door: If you need extra help getting the grease and grime off the oven door, check out this post → The Only Way I Was Able to Clean My Greasy Oven Door
- Clean the crack between the oven and countertop: Don't you hate it when crumbs get stuck in that space between the side of the oven and the countertop? Thankfully, our readers have a few suggestions on how to clean that area out.
- Take an "After" photo of your oven: Did you finally scrape the burnt cheese off the bottom of your oven? Get the gunk off the racks? Is the whole thing clean and shiny again? Take a photo and post it to your Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook account, and use the hashtag #kitchncure.
The Kitchn Cure Liveblog
Follow the progress of The Kitchn Cure in a real live kitchen in our liveblog:
Join The Kitchn Cure!
SHARE YOUR PROGRESS
- Questions, comments, pictures? Email us at email@example.com
- Follow and show your progress on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter! Make sure to use the #kitchncure hashtag.
(Image credits: Leela Cyd; Gina Biancaniello; The Kitchn)