The Kitchn Cure Day 5: Friday, August 15
Assignment: Clean and organize the freezer. (See all the assignments so far here)
Sign Up: Sign up here for The Kitchn Cure
You may not think the freezer needs to be cleaned — everything's frozen, so how can you have smells or spills? — but take a closer look: you'll likely find crumbs and errant vegetables floating around, a container or two frozen to the shelves, maybe even a stray dog hair. (I know, ew. But it happens.) Let's clean it up and do a little organizing, shall we?
Today's Assignment (estimated time: 1 to 3 hours)
- If necessary, defrost the freezer: If your freezer walls have more than a 1/4 inch of ice, defrost the freezer before continuing.
- Clean the freezer: Follow our step-by-step tutorial → How To Clean The Freezer
- Organize your freezer by zone: Since you've already cleared out, consolidated, and labeled everything in your freezer, now it's time to organize! Take a cue from Emma and organize your freezer by zone. Designate areas specifically for storing ready-to-eat meals, quick meal components (like frozen rice, pasta, or vegetables), fruits and vegetables, and meat.
- Load everything back into your freezer: Make sure every item is properly labeled and place it in the correct zone. Need some freezer inspiration? Check this out → 5 Enviably Well-Organized Freezers
- Consider making a spreadsheet: If you really want to stay organized, maintain a list of everything stored in your freezer. Anjali keeps a freezer spreadsheet and updates it as needed, which helps her remember what meals and ingredients she has, and keeps her from picking up yet another bag of frozen spinach.
- Take an "After" photo of your freezer: Yesterday you took the "before" photo; now it's time to show off the results of your hard work! Post your "after" freezer photo to your Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook account, and use the hashtag #kitchncure. Now pour a glass of wine and pat yourself on the back for making it through the first week of The Kitchn Cure! We'll see you back here on Monday.
Bonus Weekend Assignment
Keep your cleaning momentum going this weekend with a little bonus assignment: wash the dishes after every meal, and don't go to bed until the kitchen is clean. This isn't a mandatory assignment, but we encourage you to do it! (And we know many of you do this already!)
The Kitchn Cure Liveblog
Follow the progress of The Kitchn Cure in a real live kitchen in our liveblog:
Join The Kitchn Cure!
SHARE YOUR PROGRESS
- Questions, comments, pictures? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow and show your progress on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter! Make sure to use the #kitchncure hashtag.
(Image credits: Leela Cyd; Emma Christensen; Rachel Joy Photos; The Kitchn)