Today we take a break from cleaning to do something fun: shop! If you really need a new pan or small appliance, now's the time to get it. This is your reward for all the deep cleaning you did this week. And here you thought The Kitchn Cure was going to be all work and no play...
Today's Assignment (estimated time: 30 minutes)
- Revisit Monday's assignment: Remember on Monday when you sorted through all your pots, pans, and small appliances? The point of that exercise was to clear out those items you don't need or use in your cooking, but it was also to discover the essential items you may be missing, the ones that could really benefit your cooking life. Remind yourself of any realizations you may have had about this as you were clearing things out.
- Make a list of cookware and appliances you need to add or replace: Did you finally get rid of that fritzy toaster? Realize you could get a lot of use out of a 1-quart sauce pan? No longer comfortable using your scratched Teflon skillet? Maybe you're ready to splurge on that Vitamix because your wimpy blender just isn't cutting your new smoothie habit. Write it down!
- Check your list against our Essentials list: If your goal is to have a well-rounded, well-stocked kitchen but you're not sure where to start, check out our essentials guides → The Kitchn's Guide to Essential Cookware; The Kitchn's Guide to Essential Baking Pans; and The Kitchn's Guide to Essential Small Electric Appliances
- If you can, restock! You've cleaned long and hard this week, so treat yourself by buying that new pan or small appliance you've been eyeing. You may not be able to get everything on the list, but pick one thing you need and get it!
- Do a quick 10-minute clean: You've now made it through the first two weeks of The Kitchn Cure! Before you head into the weekend, take 10 minutes to quickly wipe down your fridge. Wipe away fingerprints around the door handle and any spills or crumbs on the shelves.
Bonus Weekend Assignment
Keep your cleaning momentum going this weekend with a little bonus assignment: clean the stains off your stainless steel pots and pans, or if necessary, re-season your cast iron skillet. We've got tutorials for both to help you out. Remember — this isn't a mandatory assignment, so don't feel bad if you don't get to it.
The Kitchn Cure Liveblog
Follow the progress of The Kitchn Cure in a real live kitchen in our liveblog: