The Kitchn Cure Day 1: Monday, August 11
Assignment: Make a list of what you like and dislike about your kitchen.
Sign Up: Sign up here for The Kitchn Cure
Welcome, everyone! Today is the first day of The Kitchn Cure, and we're so happy you've decided to join us. Over the next four weeks we're going to clean, organize, and beautify our kitchens from top to bottom. Are you ready? Stick with us and at the end of the month your fridge will be scrubbed, your appliances sparkling, your pantry restocked, and your general cooking enthusiasm renewed — or at least we hope!
This week our focus is the fridge and freezer, but don't pull out that sponge just yet. The first assignment is a simple one: just poke around your kitchen!
Today's Assignment (estimated time: 20 minutes)
- Take a walk around your kitchen: Pull out all your drawers, look into your pantry, open the cupboards. Really notice everything in your kitchen. What's the overall state of cleanliness and storage? Is your pantry looking a little overstuffed or a little bare? What jumps out at you right away, either as an eyesore or something you love?
- Make a list of things you like and dislike about your kitchen: Once you've thoroughly evaluated your kitchen, make a list of all the things you like and dislike about it. Maybe your pot rack goes on the favorites list, but the sorry state of your under-sink area doesn't make the cut.
- Star the things you're capable of changing: Now look at all the things you dislike about the current state of your kitchen, and star the ones you're capable of changing in the next month. You may hate your countertops, but replacing them probably isn't an option. But your dusty pantry containers? Greasy range hood filter? Scary, disorganized junk drawer? You can deal with those this month. You may even want to double star the areas that are in desperate need of some TLC. (Hello, overabundant collection of expired spices.)
- Get ready to clean the fridge and freezer! Over the next four days you're going to tackle your fridge and freezer, so get ready now. Double check that you've got the necessary cleaning products and tools on hand. Get a cleaning playlist queued up on your iPod. We'll see you back here tomorrow!
The Kitchn Cure Liveblog
Follow the progress of The Kitchn Cure in a real live kitchen in our liveblog:
Join The Kitchn Cure!
SHARE YOUR PROGRESS
- Questions, comments, pictures? Email us at email@example.com
- Follow and show your progress on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter! Make sure to use the #kitchncure hashtag.
(Image credits: Leela Cyd; The Kitchn)