When we were planning out The Homies this year, we decided that it was time we added in an award from our editors. We wanted an opportunity to honor blogs that have made a long, productive contribution to our own cooking and to the community overall.
So, drumroll please — we're very pleased to announce that this year's first-ever Lifetime Achievement Award goes to Post Punk Kitchen, the much-loved vegan blog by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
We had a few criteria for the Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Long-Term Contribution: A significant lifespan seemed appropriate when handing out a "lifetime" achievement award! We looked at blogs that have been around for a few years at least.
- Still Relevant: We looked at blogs that made a big contribution but were still going strong.
- Significant Contribution to the Community: We looked for someone whose blog went beyond a chronicle of personal cooking and made a unique contribution to the community.
Post Punk Kitchen
Post Punk Kitchen was a unanimous pick among our editors, for all the reasons above, and more.
- Isa was blogging all the way back in 2004... on LiveJournal! Hello, old-school blog cred!
- Isa is still blogging now, too, even as she has published books and become a well-known cookbook author.
- As for significant contribution, well — Isa has done perhaps more than any single author, let alone blogger, to raise awareness for vegan cooking and to make it look inviting and sexy. Her recipes rock, and her voice is so distinct, funny, and brash; we feel like her writing found a home through blogging and the web in a way that wouldn't have been possible through traditional cookbooks and magazines.
All of us here at The Kitchn have been inspired and taught by Post Punk Kitchen. (Ariel says she was one of the first food bloggers she ever followed!) Isa's photos are vibrant, but her blog goes beyond photos (and video) to teaching and educating about ingredients and cooking techniques; her recipes are stellar and smart. If you don't follow her blog yet, we hope that you will now, as all of us do.
Read more about The Homies and see all past winners!
(Image credits: Isa Chandra Moskowitz; Andrea Sparicio)