Have you ever wondered who thought up the whisk? Or how chicken came to dominate the dinner plate? What about the origins of cellophane packaging, or who invented soft serve ice cream? If your curiosity is piqued, check out these 15 quick glimpses into food history, including a look at meat market playsets in Victorian times (yes!) and history's 20 most significant food and drink inventions.
• 1 How the Chicken Conquered the World
• 2 A History of Coffee Culture in America
• 3 Xiao Long Bao: Tracing the History of Chinese Soup Dumplings
• 4 The History of the Espresso Machine
• 5 The History of Weck Canning Jars
• 6 A Brief History of the Recipe Card
• 7 The History of Cellophane Packaging
• 8 A Brief History of Smorgasbord: It's Not Just a Buffet!
• 9 The 20 Most Significant Food and Drink Inventions Throughout History
• 10 Baby's First Butcher Shop: Meat Market Playsets in Victorian Times
• 11 A Brief History of the Whisk
• 12 Do You Know Who Invented Soft Serve Ice Cream?
• 13 Eating Lunch: Vintage Photos from The Library of Congress
• 14 Stunning Cover Art from Vintage Seed Nursery Catalogs
• 15 Food Flashback: New York City in 1938
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's Best of 2012 roundup!
From December 17 through January 1 we are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the past year.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits)