Brother and sister team Jordan and Jessica Bourke are adamant that healthy eating shouldn't mean denial. In their cookbook The Guilt-Free Gourmet, the Bourkes draw upon their experiences in food and nutrition to share recipes free of sugar, wheat, and dairy, yet full of flavor.
• Who wrote it: Jordan & Jessica Bourke
• Who published it: Ryland Peters & Small
• Number of recipes: 70
• Recipes for right now: root-vegetable fritters with cumin and parsley yogurt; polenta pizza with Swiss chard and chanterelle mushrooms; grated carrots, blood orange and walnuts; beetroot burgers with wholegrain mustard mayonnaise; harissa roasted chicken with spiced swede, squash & sweet potato; orange-zest brownies
• Other highlights: Irish siblings Jordan and Jessica Bourke are passionate about cooking for health and enjoyment. Chef Jordan trained at the famous Ballymaloe Cookery School and worked under Michelin-starred chef Skye Gyngell at Petersham Nurseries, while Jessica is a nutritional therapist and natural fertility specialist. Their recipes include healthier versions of comfort foods like crumbles, flapjacks, and sausages 'n' mash, as well as dishes rich with the flavors of Morocco, Thailand, Japan, and Korea, making this a good all-around cookbook for different meals and moods.
All of the recipes are free of sugar, wheat, and dairy, incorporating alternative ingredients like spelt, agave syrup, and xylitol. While many of the dishes are vegetarian- or vegan-friendly, the book does include meat, seafood, and eggs. In addition to the recipes, the book is peppered with nutritional facts about various "guilt-free" ingredients.
• Who would enjoy this book? people avoiding sugar, wheat, and dairy
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Guilt-Free Gourmet: Indulgent Recipes without Sugar, Wheat or Dairy by Jordan & Jessica Bourke
• Visit the author's website: The Guilt-Free Gourmet
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Emily Han)