Let me guess: you made a New Year's resolution to eat more beans and are now staring at a cupboard full of dried legumes without a clue what to do with them. Fear not! With Kathy Hester's cookbook of bean-centric vegan meals, you will not be condemned to endless batches of chili — far from it. This book is far-reaching and far-ranging with over 100 tasty ways to get your daily fix of beans.
• Who wrote it: Kathy Hester
• Who published it: Fair Winds Press
• Number of recipes: Over 100
• Recipes for right now: Almost-a-Meal Black Bean Tamale Muffins, Roasted Root Veggie and Kidney Bean Hash, 4-Layer Bean Dip, Vegan Cashew Bean Queso, Moroccan Chickpea Soup, Butternut Squash Frijoles, Chickpea Veggie Tagine, Vaquero Bean Tempeh Chili, Inside-Out Enchilada Casserole
• Major Takeaways:
This book also serves as a primer on bean cookery — perfect for those of you just getting into the bean scene. I love the guide at the front of the book that describes each bean, how it tastes, and some ways to use them. She also covers various ways to cook beans, to soak or not to soak, and bean cooking times.
Beans are central to nearly every world cuisine, and this fact is well-represented here. You'll find Mexican-spiced frijoles and Moroccan bean tagines alongside dishes like Hawaiian sliders and fried chickpea "chicken" and waffles. No fear of getting bored here! Kathy Hester also includes a fair number of sweet baked recipes that sneak beans into the mix: pancakes made with white beans and Devil's food cookies with black beans.
• Who would enjoy this book? Bean scene newcomers, bean lovers looking for new inspiration, vegans
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
• Visit the author's website: Healthy Slow Cooking
• More of Kathy Hester on The Kitchn: Kathy Hester's 5 Essentials for Fun, Healthy, and Delicious Slow Cooking
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.