Beyond straight-up roasting, you can also stuff the squash halves before roasting with a combination of anything from quinoa to sautéed greens. Try layering slices with cheese, cream, and herbs to make a quick gratin side dish, or mash the cooked slices with other winter vegetables.
When buying delicata squashes, pick squashes with smooth unblemished skin that feel firm, especially near the stem ends. Since delicata squash are thinner-skinned than other winter squashes, they don't keep quite long. Even so, they will keep for several weeks if kept somewhere cool and dark. To prepare, slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds, then proceed with the recipe. The peel is edible, so you can feel free to leave it on.
Delicata Squash Recipes to Try:
• Fettuccine with Balsamic Delicata Squash and Bitter Greens
• Delicata Squash Stuffed with Mushrooms, Farro, Pecans, and Dried Cranberries
• Warm Farro Salad with Delicata Squash, Persimmons, and Pecans
• Delicata Squash and Gruyere Dip
• Delicata Squash Stuffed with Apple Cornbread Dressing
Do you have a favorite way of preparing delicata squash?
(Image: Mark Herreid/Shutterstock)