It sounds funny, but the Christmas pickle is a real tradition that dates back to the turn of the century. It doesn't involve an actual pickle, but a blown glass ornament in the shape of the crunchy treat that is hung on the Christmas tree. As the first to find the pickle on the tree, one receives a special gift or the promise of good fortune in the year to come.
You can purchase pickle ornaments from several sources to make the tradition your own. Or, for a veritable salad on the tree, look for other vegetable-shaped, blown glass ornaments. It is thought that the pickles originated around the turn of the century, at which time French imports of glass vegetable ornaments to the U.S. began.
- 1 Pickle Ornament Set, $48 for 3 at Terrain
- 2 Pickle Ornament, $7 at Crate & Barrel
- 3 Pickle Ornament, $5 at Sur la Table
- 4 Tomato Slice Ornament, $7 at Sur la Table
- 5 Romaine Lettuce Glass Ornament, $10 at Bronner's