Every week we bring you our favorite posts on cooking and eating from our friends at Serious Eats. This week there's this glamorous yet frugal salad that uses up scraps of leftover roast chicken or roast beef. Plus there are 6 rules for a good farmers' market, a review of Mario Batali's sauces, and Alice Waters' carrot soup. • Eat for Eight Bucks: Best-Ever Salad for Leftover Meats
- Roasted tomatoes, caramelized onions, roast chicken, and yum.
• Serious Green: 6 Rules of a Good Farmers' Market - A great list. How does your market stack up?
• Five Things to Do with an Entenmann's All Butter Loaf Cake - From fondue to toast, five ways to respectably use a loaf cake up.
• Mario Batali's Jarred Pasta Sauces - We are skeptical of celebrity-branded food, and so are the Serious Eats folks, but this review may surprise you.
• Dinner Tonight: Alice Waters's Carrot Soup - Summery, sweet, and soothing.
Previous Good Eats: How To Cook Dinner In Your Hotel Room
(Image: Michele Humes for Serious Eats)