Magic cake has been around for a few years now, but in the last week or so the internet has become pretty obsessed with this baking phenomenon. Magic cake, at its basic level, is one very loose cake batter that magically turns into a three-layered custard cake. The cake looks like it took a ton of effort and time, but it's actually super easy to create. Not convinced? I've rounded up 15 magic cake recipes that will make you a believer.
1. Magic Cake from Jo Cooks
Many a food blogger cites Jo Cooks as the queen of magic cakes. She put this standard recipe out in March of 2013 and has since created many other magic cake recipes. If you're new to magic cakes and just think it's all too good to be true, start here.
2. Chocolate Magic Custard Cake from Give Recipe
This gorgeous cake has three distinct chocolate layers. The blogger behind Give Recipes mentions that the batter, like most magic cake recipes, is very liquidy.
3. Pumpkin Magic Cake from Foodness Gracious
This recipe uses canned pumpkin and includes a pumpkin spice icing that should be drizzled over the resulting cake.
4. Peanut Butter Cup Magic Cake from Cookistry
I love that the chocolate chips in the recipe sink to the bottom. It creates a cool peanut butter cake and custard level followed by chocolate.
5. Lemon Bar Magic Cake from I Wash You Dry
This recipe uses cake mix and pudding mix to create the magic, so if you're into that kind of thing, this recipe will deliver.
6. Gingerbread Magic Cake from Foodness Gracious
Instead of making a gingerbread house this year, make something you'll actually want to eat.
7. Butterscotch Magic Cake from Jo Cooks
Jo Cooks took her classic magic cake recipe and made one for butterscotch-lovers. It's definitely a little more complicated than the original recipe, but not too hard considering the final product.
8. Red Velvet Magic Cake from I Heart Eating
It's so fun to see all the different red layers of this red velvet magic cake. This recipe uses red food coloring and cocoa powder as key ingredients for the cake.
9. Eggnog Magic Cake from Boulder Locavore
Are you obsessed with eggnog? Then you need to try this magic cake recipe. It tastes like the holidays.
10. Matcha Custard Cake from Raspberri Cupcakes
Matcha was a big trend last year for baking, so it isn't a surprise that a magic cake recipe would exist with this great ingredient.
11. Pumpkin Spice Latte Magic Cake from Sweet Recipeas
Of course there is a PSL magic cake recipe. Of course there is! Get your fix this fall with this awesome magic cake.
12. Key Lime Pie Magic Cake from Foodness Gracious
Not quite a pie, not quite a cake, these key lime pie bars satisfy many a craving.
13. Mocha Magic Custard Cake from Eat Me Blog
Get a little caffeine boost with this gorgeous magic cake.
14. Rhubarb Magic Custard Cake from Kitchen McCabe
I love that this magic cake uses fresh, seasonal ingredients. The sour rhubarb sinks into the custard layer in this recipe and looks super beautiful.
15. Nutella Magic Cake from Jo Cooks
I mean, of course there has to be a Nutella magic cake. This one from Jo Cooks looks pretty great with fresh raspberries.