Desserts with cheese are so soul-satisfying because they so often have both creamy and tart components. And since salt is a major component of any cheese, making most cheeses more savory than sweet, it's a nice contrast to make them a major focus in a dessert. Maybe it's for this reason that cheese desserts are so satiating: it's that perpetually-satisfying combination of salty and sweet.
The Best Cheese Desserts We Could Find
• Goat Cheese Cheesecake from Clinton Hill Foodie
• Honey Ricotta Cheesecake from Giada de Laurentiis
• The Nibble's roundup of ice creams made with cheese, including Ferran Adrià’s Parmesan Ice Cream Sandwich recipe, Charlie Trotter’s Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Figs, and a recipe for Buttermilk Blue Cheese Ice Cream
• Deep-Dish Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust at Epicurious
• Lemon Mascarpone Charlottes from Tartelette
• Goat Cheese Custards with Strawberries with Red Wine Syrup from David Lebovitz
• Crescent Cheese Cookies (made with Pot Cheese) from Gourmet
• Pear and Goat Cheese Tart from Leite's Culinaria
• Baked Pecorino Cheese with Honey and Walnuts from Veranda
What are your favorite desserts that involve cheese? Got anything that can top this list entirely? I want to know!
(Images, clockwise from left: Carolyne Roehm for Veranda; Romulo Yanes for Gourmet; The Nibble; Andy Ryan)