Get your hands on some Greek-inspired goodies without hitting up a specialty grocery store — or flying to Greece (unless you want to use your cravings as an excuse to book a trip?). Turns out, Trader Joe's actually has tons of options that'll help transport you to Athens and beyond.
Here are some of my favorites.
- Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, $5 for 32 ounces: Trader Joe's sells my all-time favorite Greek-style yogurt. It's super creamy, not too dry, and has just the right amount of tang. Plus, to top it off, it comes with a relatively low price tag. Basically, it's an all-around win.
- Feta Cheese Spread, $4 for 9 ounces: If feta holds an extra-special place in your heart, this spread was made for you. It starts with the salty tang of feta, then blends in Neufchâtel and low-fat Greek yogurt for an ultra-creamy cheese spread you'll want to eat on everything.
- Dolmas, $2.50 for 9.9 ounces: Widely known as stuffed grape leaves, this vegetarian version is filled with a savory blend of rice, herbs, and spices. Found amongst the canned goods, these reasonably priced tins make a nice addition to snack boards and mezze platters, as well as a way to bulk up salads.
- Spanakopita, $4: Filled with spinach, ricotta, and feta, these phyllo-wrapped triangles might not be a totally traditional recipe, but they deliver on the flavors you want from spanakopita. These three-bite spanakopitas are the appetizer to keep stashed in the freezer for when friends pop over.
- Five-Cheese Greek Spiral, $4: A Greek cheese pie with five cheeses under layers of flaky phyllo? Yes, please! It includes two Greek cheeses, Kasseri and Kefalotyri, to bring a tangy bite to balance the creamy mild flavors of Gouda, blue cheese, and a semi-hard cheese. Add a Greek salad, and you've got dinner.
- Phyllo Dough, $3: Phyllo dough is the cornerstone ingredient in so many Greek recipes. Pick up a package and use this well-priced flaky dough to make spanakopita, baklava, feta-stuffed "cigars," or a tart.
- Tzatziki Dip, $3.50 for 12 ounces: We've shown you how easy it is to make tzatziki from scratch, but when you want a more convenient option, toss a tub of Trader Joe's ultra-creamy tzatziki into the cart. It's loaded with the usual suspects like shredded cucumber and garlic, plus plenty of fresh dill and mint. Although this version uses a blend of sour cream and kefir for the base, it delivers the same yogurt-like tang and texture — and an extra boost of creaminess.