One of our favorite food magazine features of the year is the Saveur
100 List. Every year they bring out an issue with 100 tidbits, ingredients, good meals, restaurants, products and more that they think deserve to be spotlighted. This year, though, the list is a little different. It was chosen by their readers — and the whole thing is online. Here's a peek at some of the bits we especially enjoyed! This is a really splendid list — with a huge range from the high to low. There are unusual ingredients, homey recipes, and small kitchen pleasures. There are out-of-the-way restaurants, and well-deserved nods to some popular websites. Reading through the whole list is a great way to spend an hour; you'll learn something new and be inspired too.
Here are a few bits we found especially delightful.
• #1 Pan Con Tomate (pictured above) - While we've never had this prepared in just this way, the description here is so luscious it makes us wish tomatoes were in season right now.
• # Clarified Butter (pictured above) - Such a small thing, and yet it can make such a difference.
• #47 Pages 1072 and 1073 of Joy of Cooking - We won't give away what's on these pages, but it gets two thumbs up from us.
• #61 Oven Thermometer - Yes! The photo with this one is priceless.
• #77 Trader Joe’s Lime & Chili Cashews - We were just tickled that Trader Joe's made the list.
And like we said, take an hour and read through the whole list!
• See the entire list: The 2010 Saveur 100 List
Previous Saveur 100 Lists
• Blogging Saveur Magazine: The Saveur 100 Home Edition
• The Saveur 100
(Images: Andre Baranowski; Saveur; James Oseland; Sweetwater’s Donut Mill Doughnuts, Andre Baranowski)