The one leftover from Thanksgiving that we really treasure is a big bag of turkey stock. We made braised turkey, just cooking the legs, thighs, and breast. This left a hulking chest for broth, which simmered merrily away while the rest of our dinner cooked. Now we have over a gallon of turkey stock, and the prospect of soup gleams bright. Here are eight soups that would be wonderful with turkey stock or broth. These are all soups that either call for turkey broth or would be particularly good with its meaty, intensely flavorful taste.
• 1 Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup - This is the one I'm making! Hot peppers, sour lime juice, savory turkey broth, with soft bits of rice and tender cabbage — this is a winter addiction for me and my husband.
• 2 Hot & Sour Soup - So Easy! - Another recipe for Hot and Sour Soup, but a little more authentic to what you'd find in a Chinese restaurant.
• 3 Italian Escarole Soup - This hearty soup includes turkey meatballs, so it only makes sense to use turkey broth.
• 4 Mexican Chicken Soup - The savory depth of turkey broth would work very well in this soup.
• 5 Easy Turkey Tortilla Soup - Another soup that relies on some lime juice for zing.
• 6 Ajiaco (Chicken and Potato) Soup - A traditional Colombian soup made from chicken and potatoes, but also fabulous with turkey.
• 7 Easy Kale Soup for One (or Two) - Simple, healthy, easy, and delicious.
• 8 Mushroom Soup - Savory and umami-laden, especially when made with turkey broth.
Do you have turkey broth left over from Thanksgiving? What are you planning on doing with it?
Related: Roundup: Vegan and Vegetarian Soup Recipes
(Images, clockwise from top left: Faith Durand; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; Faith Durand; Kathryn Hill)