A version of this post was originally sent to our email subscribers yesterday. To receive Sara Kate's weekly email, sign up in the column to the left or click here. Something tasty will arrive in your inbox every Thursday.
Greetings from Los Angeles, where I'm entering my second week of a long visit to my hometown. Today's email is quick, just an offering of ten of my favorite things in my mother's kitchen. Being here reminds me that this is where I learned to cook, so it's a sanctuary of sorts to me. The kitchen has changed, but the spirit inside it has not.
I'd love to see snapshots of the things you love about your own kitchen, or the kitchen of someone you love. My shots, and details on what to send and how, below.Scroll through the gallery to see these ten favorite things from my mom's kitchen:
1. Very well-used spoons. I think they pre-date me.
2. Almond extract. Mom puts it in coffee and French toast. Now I do, too.
3. Strawberry Jam ruler given to me in the fourth grade on Valentine's Day by a kid named Carl.
4. One of mom's watercolors.
5. The greatest bread knife, ever.
6. Coarse salt and pepper in clay herb pots from Pierre Lafond Market in Santa Barbara.
7. A lime-board — not just for margaritas — made by my brother around the time I was born.
8. Crazy turquoise tile.
9. Pie dishes and tart tins stacked in a way that, to me, is sculpture.
10. Compost bucket. Kitchen scraps and dryer lint feed the composter out back. A lizard visits often.
If you have some favorite things from a kitchen you know and you're up for taking some nice photos, give it a whirl this weekend. Send the images to us (no more than ten please) with "favorite things" in the subject line. We'll choose a few to post next week.
Last Week's Posted Email: In Praise of Raisins