7 Awesome Pancake Mix-Ins
1. Lemon Zest: These Sour Cream Pancakes (pictured above) are a relatively classic recipe, but the grated citrus zest adds a special brightness that make them quite memorable.
2. Oatmeal: Smitten Kitchen's Oatmeal Pancakes rely on oat flour and cooked oats for a hearty and heart-healthy morning flapjack.
3. Nuts & Seeds A little crunch goes a long way, and 101 Cookbooks' Poppy Seed Pancakes are a testament to that. Made with buttermilk, poppy seeds and sunflower seeds, they're fluffy yet toothsome at the same time.
4. Pine Nuts: What caught my attention in Bittman's article more than anything were these
5. Coconut: These Coconut Pancakes by Cookie and Kate utilize not just shredded coconut but coconut water as well!
6. Bacon: I know, I know. Bacon in baked goods is a trend that a few of you are excited to put behind you, while others are holding on for dear life. For all of you folks in the latter category, bacon in pancakes is a pretty big deal. And these Maple Bacon Pancakes from Serious Eats are a fine place to begin.
7. Herbs: Pancakes have a reputation as a sweeter breakfast, drizzled with syrup or jam and served with fruits or honey. But they're quite wonderful savory, too. These filled pancakes from Food 52 boast greens, garlic and herbs and are certainly a departure from more traditional breakfast fare, but in a most intriguing way.
What are your favorite pancake mix-ins? What's your go-to recipe?
(Image: Megan Gordon)