While I no longer live in San Francisco, I dream of the dessert pizza at Gialina Pizzeria to this day. It was buttery and flaky and slathered with mascarpone and chocolate. The good news? San Franciscan or not, there are a few great dessert pizza recipes out there just awaiting a hungry audience.
The nice thing about dessert pizzas is you can make them using leftover pizza dough and whatever seasonal fruits you have on hand. If time doesn't allow for homemade pizza dough, many of these recipes suggest store-bought dough or the always delicious cheater's version: puff pastry. If you're a Nutella fan, you can never go wrong with that route, and sweeter cheeses like mascarpone are always a hit. Dessert pizzas are a relatively low-stress dessert, and are wonderful for large crowds and parties. Or just date night at home.
Try a Recipe:
• Strawberry Dessert Pizza (pictured) - Leela Cyd for The Kitchn
• Apple Pie Pizza - Closet Cooking
• Godfather's Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza - Rumbly in my Tumbly
• Blueberry Dessert Pizza - Spoon Fork Bacon
• Chocolate Pizza - The Food Network
• Dessert Pizza with Nutella and Strawberries - Oh Sweet Basil
• Strawberry Mascarpone Dessert Pizza - Better Homes and Gardens
• Deep-Dish Fruit Pizza - The Pioneer Woman
• S'more Pizza - Guy Fieri
• Apple "Pizza" - Epicurious
Related: My Dad's Legendary Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
(Image: Leela Cyd)