Snow cones, sno cones, shaved ice – whatever you call them, these versions made with fresh fruit are far more flavorful than their artificial counterparts. Give them to the kids for a healthier frozen treat or serve them at a dinner party for a fun yet elegant dessert. It isn't difficult to make snow cones at home. An ice shaver (remember the Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine
?!) creates the fluffiest ice, but you can also make it granita
-style or simply crush ice in the blender.
These recipes all incorporate fresh fruit:
• Coconut Snow Cones with Young Coconut and Pineapple-Ginger Syrup at Australian Gourmet Traveller (pictured)
• Fresh Fruit Sno-Cones at Epicurious (pictured)
• Raspberry-Blueberry Snow Cones at Epicurious
• Cherry Snow Cone at Food52
• Trend Alert: Snow Cones at Martha Stewart Weddings
Or make up your own version, using whatever fruit is in season, fresh juices, and homemade simple syrup infused with fruit or herbs.
Related: Simple Pleasures: 5 Ideas for Snow Cones and Shaved Ice
(Images: William Meppem/Australian Gourmet Traveller; Rita Maas/Gourmet)