Here's a sweet gift idea: cake in a jar! We'd never heard of these until recently, but apparently it's an old country tradition and several bloggers, like Angry Chicken who made the cakes above, have experimented with them. They're just the right size gifts for co-workers, and they can be easily mailed to friends and family. We like the fact that it's a gift with reusable packaging, too.
The cakes are baked in sterilized jars and then sealed. Supposedly they can be stored for up to six months or a year, although we imagine our recipients would be eating the cakes sooner than that!
Here are a few recipes to try:
• Applesauce Cake, from Yankee
• Chocolate Cake, from Cooking with Ellen
• Georgia Pecan Cake with Apple, from Mother Earth News
• Poppyseed Cake, from Delicious Days
• Pumpkin Cake from Yankee
• Read Angry Chicken's story about her cake in a jar obsession
Has anyone ever made these?
(Image: Angry Chicken)