The weather is getting colder, we've got soups on the brain, and for dessert... deep, dark chocolate. We love chocolate paired with raspberries, but this time of year it seems more wintry and festive to add dried or preserved cherries instead. We've rounded up some decadent recipes, below...
Of course, there's the Black Forest cake that's traditionally chocolate cake with a cherry filling and whipped cream topping. Unfortunately, it's reputation has been sullied by so many over-sugared, jelly-filled interpretations at delis. But the chocolate-cherry combination is still a classic.
This time of year, fresh cherries are not in season, but dried ones are a perfect, concentrated flavor that stands up well to chocolate. And preserved sour cherries are great for a not-too-sweet dessert (maybe paired with bittersweet chocolate). Then there's always kirsch, cherry liqueur that you can pour into anything from boozy mousse to pie filling.
Recipes to check out:
- Black Forest Torte, from Dorie Greenspan via Bon Appétit
- Black Forest Cake, from The New York Times
- Cherry Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips, from Simply Recipes
- Chocolate-Pistachio and Cherry Bark, from Ingredients Inc.
- Cherry Double-Chocolate Cookies, from Gourmet
- Valrhona Chocolate Cherry Cake, from Gourmet