Of course, there's the Black Forest cake that's traditionally chocolate cake with a cherry filling and whipped cream topping. Unfortunately, it's reputation has been sullied by so many over-sugared, jelly-filled interpretations at delis. But the chocolate-cherry combination is still a classic.
This time of year, fresh cherries are not in season, but dried ones are a perfect, concentrated flavor that stands up well to chocolate. And preserved sour cherries are great for a not-too-sweet dessert (maybe paired with bittersweet chocolate). Then there's always kirsch, cherry liqueur that you can pour into anything from boozy mousse to pie filling.
Recipes to check out:
- Black Forest Torte, from Dorie Greenspan via Bon Appétit
- Black Forest Cake, from The New York Times
- Cherry Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips, from Simply Recipes
- Chocolate-Pistachio and Cherry Bark, from Ingredients Inc.
- Cherry Double-Chocolate Cookies, from Gourmet
- Valrhona Chocolate Cherry Cake, from Gourmet