Debbie Adler had been running Sweet Debbie's Organic Cupcakes, a successful organic, sugar-free bakery, for several years when she found out that her son was allergic to "almost every food in the USDA pyramid." So, she went back to the kitchen and revamped her recipes to be gluten-free, allergy-friendly, and as nutritious as possible. Her cookbook Sweet Debbie's Organic Treats includes recipes for kids and adults, fans of the bakery, and anyone who wants to bake without gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, sugar, and nuts.
• Who wrote it: Debbie Adler
• Who published it: Harlequin
• Number of recipes: 50
• Recipes for right now: Salted Caramel Apple Muffins, Gourmet Dark Chocolate Mesquite Brownies, Oatmeal Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookies, Irresistible Red Velvet Cupcakes, Sweet Cranberry Hemp Bars, Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes,Yam Jam Soda Bread
• Other highlights: Sweet Debbie's Organic Treats includes everyday snacks and special occasion sweets, allergy-friendly versions of classics, and inspired new creations. One of the first recipes in the book is for Debbie's all-purpose gluten-free flour mix, which contains tapioca, sorghum, millet, teff, and quinoa flours. This forms the basis for all the baked goods from energy-boosting breakfast muffins to brownies accented with superfoods and spices, kid-friendly cookies, irresistible cupcakes, high-protein energy bars, baked donut holes, and savory breads.
Most of the recipes call for the same basic set of ingredients, so once you stock your pantry, you should be set. The primary sweeteners used are stevia and/or coconut nectar. Other frequently used ingredients include grapeseed oil, coconut oil, rice milk, and guar gum (can substitute xanthan gum).
• Who would enjoy this book? vegans, diabetics, people with celiac disease or food allergies and intolerances
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Sweet Debbie's Organic Treats: Allergy-Free & Vegan Recipes from the Famous Los Angeles Bakery by Debbie Adler
• Visit the author's website: Sweet Debbie's Organic Cupcakes
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.