Most people who find out they have to stop eating gluten don't turn towards pastry school, but that's exactly what Kyra Bussanich did. Taking her experience at Le Cordon Bleu, she developed a science and art to her baking and went on to become the first gluten-free winner of Food Network's "Cupcake Wars." If you're looking for desserts that satisfy gluten-free and non-gluten-free eaters alike, check out Bussanich's new cookbook, Sweet Cravings. It even features photographs from our own Leela Cyd!
• Who wrote it: Kyra Bussanich
• Who published it: Ten Speed Press
• Number of recipes: 50
• Recipes for right now: Espresso Scones, Apple Crisp, Vanilla Chiffon Cake with Blackberry Coulis, Persian Love Cakes with Cardamom Buttercream, Hazelnut Pear Tart with Goat Cheese Whipped Cream, Classic Cream Puffs
• Other highlights: Kyra Bussanich wants to "help you discover that gluten-free baking can be tastier, better textured, and more appealing than traditional wheat-flour baking." The recipes in Sweet Cravings cover a wide breadth of baked goods from everyday treats like muffins and cookies to special occasion cakes, pies, and Bussanich's award-winning cupcakes. These are the sorts of gluten-free desserts that don't seem different or weird, just delicious. The book is also nicely designed with beautiful color photographs throughout.
Although Bussanich provides some tips for using all-purpose baking mixes, for ideal flavor and texture each recipe has its own unique blend of gluten-free flours, starches, and binders like xanthan gum. An introductory chapter also includes suggestions for substituting non-dairy milks and fats, and substituting psyllium seed husk for xanthan gum. All recipes are marked easy, intermediate, or advanced, and ingredients are given in both volume and weight measurements.
• Who would enjoy this book? gluten-free folks and those baking for them; fans of Kyra's Bake Shop (formerly Crave Bake Shop)
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Sweet Cravings: 50 Seductive Desserts for a Gluten-Free Lifestyle by Kyra Bussanich
• Visit the author's website: Kyra's Bake Shop
• See the author's interview at The Kitchn: 5 Tips for Gluten-Free Birthday Cake from Crave Bake Shop
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Ho)