"To me 'sweet' is about celebrating and sharing," writes Levi Roots, and his new cookbook is filled with sweet treats to bring on the good times with friends and family. From cover to cover Sweet brims with the vibrant colors, flavors, and laid-back party vibe of the Caribbean. Born in Jamaica and later raised in Brixton, London, Roots mingles Caribbean and British influences in his recipes, which include desserts and drinks, cakes and bakes.
• Who wrote it: Levi Roots
• Who published it: Mitchell Beazley
• Number of recipes: 100+
• Recipes for right now: Chocolate & Lime Cake, Blood Orange Cupcakes, Cardamom & Allspice Brownies, Salted Caramel Cheesecake, Pear Cake with Crunchy Pecan Topping, Rum & Toffee-Apple Ice Cream
• Other highlights: Levi Roots is best known in the UK, where he's a musician, restaurateur, food entrepreneur, television personality, and cookbook author. In his latest book he focuses on sweets including cakes, biscuits and bars, pies and tarts, ices, drinks, and a whole spectrum of desserts from creamy to baked, fresh, and barbecued. Though there's plenty of sugar (often brown sugars) in the cookbook, fruit is also celebrated as a source of sweetness and flavor. In addition to tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, coconut, and citrus, many of the recipes feature Caribbean ingredients such as rum, allspice, nutmeg, vanilla, and even Scotch Bonnet chile pepper.
Aside from the recipes themselves, the book is just a joy to flip through, as it's filled with so many colors, textures, and fun designs. For readers in chilly climates right now, it's sure to provide a little Caribbean warmth and style!
• Who would enjoy this book? dessert lovers, cooks interested in Caribbean and Jamaican flavors, fans of Levi Roots
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Sweet: Irresistible Desserts and Drinks, Cakes and Bakes by Levi Roots
• Visit the author's website: Levi Roots
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Emily Han)