Chips and salsa are my go-to appetizer in the summer. While I make a pretty mean picco de gallo with summer tomatoes, onions and cilantro, summer is the time to experiment with different seasonal salsas. And why not take advantage of all of the juicy ripe fruit in season right now?
You've likely seen mango salsa on restaurant menus or on grocery store shelves. But what about pear salsa, apple salsa or a savory strawberry salsa? The nice thing about fruit salsas is that you can certainly serve them traditionally as you'd serve tomato salsa but you can also use them as more of a chutney with chicken and pork, and I actually love to use them to dress up a very basic green salad.
Try a Recipe:
• Summer Peach Salsa - Nealy Dozier of The Kitchn (pictured above)
• Mango Salsa Recipe - White on Rice Couple
• Crunchy Pear Salsa - Epicurious
• Apple Salsa - Serious Eats
• Savory Strawberry Salsa - Better Homes and Gardens
Related: 15 Unusual Things to Eat With Salsa
(Image: Nealy Dozier)