We love the clean and somewhat grassy flavor of leeks. They make a nice backdrop for whatever spices we decide to throw at them!
We generally only eat the lower white and light green parts of the leeks. These can augment (or replace) onions in almost any dish. Cooked at a low heat, leeks slowly break down into a succulent base. Give it a try with pasta sauces, risottos, and soups.
Recipes from our archives:
From around the web:
• Risotto with Butternut Squash and Leeks from Epicurious
• French Leek Pie from AllRecipes
• Sautéed Green Apples and Leeks from Recipezaar
• Korrat (an Egyptian recipe for preparing leeks) from Recipezaar
• Sautéed Leeks with Chickpeas from the New York Times
• Bacon and Hazelnut Leeks from Chow
What are your favorite leek recipes?
Related: Quick Tips: How to Clean Leeks