In the summer, there are often competing forces when it comes to dessert. First are all the wonderful fruit desserts that we can really only have during these three or four months. (Hopefully you've had your fill of crumbles, crisps and pies this season. If not, you've got a little time yet.) The other force, for me at least, are the overly-sweet, fluffy cupcakes and confections you find at weddings, graduations and other summer celebrations. Often nice to look at, they generally don't taste all that great. So by the end of the summer, I find myself craving something different, a not-messing-around dessert: chocolate cake.
I have strong memories of having chocolate cake at home as a child. It was the cake my mother made us each and every birthday, hers an interesting and delicious concoction that involves potato and sour cream. She'd turn these into cupcakes with ease for school parties or celebrations. And for Christmas every year, she'd make Baked Alaska using a riff on the cake as the base for the dessert. We go way back with cake in the Gordon family. And so I thought it was time to put together a list of classic chocolate cake recipes today on the off chance that you may have tired from peach pie and berry slumps like a few of us around here.
Do you have a favorite chocolate cake recipe?
Try a Recipe:
• Blackberry Red Wine Chocolate Cake (pictured), via Love and Olive Oil
• Chocolate Truffle Cake, via Saveur
• Chocolate Stout Cake, via Bon Appetit
• Simply Vegan Chocolate Cake, via Joy the Baker
• Gluten-free German Chocolate Cake, via Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
• Chocolate Cheesecake, via Nigella Lawson
• Chocolate Glazed Donut Cake, via Williams Sonoma
• Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Satiny Glaze, via Bright Eyed Baker
• Perfect Chocolate Birthday Cake, via Gourmande in the Kitchen
• Chocolate Hazelnut Cake, via NPR
Related: Recipe: Dark Chocolate Cake
(Image: Love and Olive Oil)